Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The domestic writer, the samosa and IWD 2011

Today is the 9th of March, 2011 and 'right now' is that special time in the afternoon when I have won a temporary reprieve from taking care of the baby, after accomplishing the myriad household chores that do not abide by the strict pay-by-the-hour timings of our domestic help, and have successfully tired out my better half by relentlessly pursuing a half-hearted simulacrum founded on a self-imposed image of affected diffidence accompanied by shrill continuous verbiage centred on the likely future behaviour of my parents-in-law. 
I have now three other things to accomplish... or at least two-and-a-half. (1) I have to try to get back Rs. 7100/- from the best-known travel agency in India for services not rendered and perceived insults administered to self. (2) I need to remind two different call centres that they are indeed responsible for passing on service requests already made for superficial repairs to our washing machine and DVD player. (3) I need to re-imagine myself as a 21st century radical, living in the world but not of it, taking outrageous existential risks while believing whole-heartedly that I will be around for another fifty years, remembering roads not taken and treks in wild virgin country not made.

A 'samosa', Wikipedia says, is a a stuffed pastry popular across Asia and Africa that generally consists of a fried or baked triangular, semi-lunar or tetrahedral pastry shell with a savory filling, which may include spiced potatoesonionspeas,coriander, and lentils, or ground beef or chicken and is often served with chutney.


And yesterday was International Women's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment